Just to keep track of what I’ve done, current settings, mods, and measurements.
it appears that bolting the limit switches directly onto the z carriage is causing them to trigger due to vibration.. need to figure out a dampening option, or make grbl ignore the jitters somehow. For now, I am unplugging them after homing.
Upgrade to grbl 1.1 steps:
following the steps outlined here
ArduinoIDE settings were as follows:
board: Arduino duemilanove or diecimilia
After installing the upgraded chuck I found myself limited to 26mm of z axis, so I replaced the vertical posts with taller ones getting me closer to 40mm of z
6.1mm or .2 opening IW
11mm inner race
2.5ish mm race width
result of $$ post upgrades: